The history of Pałac Wojanów
It was 1281 when estate in Wojanów has been mentioned for the first time. Eberhard von Schildau whose name was connected with knight’s property accordingly to those days, was the owner of the vassals’ property. The first knights of Wojanów were frequently associated with known Silesian lineage von Zedlitz, however, those connections have been explicitly documented only since the middle of 14th century. Wojanów belonged to von Zedlitz lineage up until 1727, with a short break at the beginning of 16th century when its proprietor became Anton I Schaff-Gotsch of another great Silesian dynasty. The renaissance palace was founded by Nikolas von Zedlitz und Nimmersatt in 1607. Unfortunately, after several years, the new family’s seat was burnt by the Swedish Army during the Thirty Year’s War. The residence was rebuilt by Christoph von Zedlitz in 1667 with a new baroque décor.
Since the beginning of 18th century knight’s property in Wojanów changed its proprietors quite often. There were the Jelenia Góra Patricians and Prussian aristocracy who owned the Palace. The residence was acquired in 1831 by Karl Albrech Ike, a Secret Court Counsellor. It was him who decided to rebuild the building in the style of the New Gothic architecture. That rebuilding was connected with the great royal architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel, however, research conducted recently indicates rather on his apprentices. As a result of that reconstruction the Palace had changed completely. From the fortified manor house, decorated in the late baroque style, it was converted into a romantic residence. An additional floor was added and alcove corner turrets were raised. That alterations gave the Palace a distinctive and unique look in Silesia region. New arrangements were in English New Gothic style whereas former ornaments were inspired by the style of Dutch mannerism.
In 1839 Ike left Wojanów and moved to the Polish Kingdom, where he was ennobled. Put up for sale Wojanów residence was then acquired by the King of Prussia, Frederick Wilhelm III, who remembered it from his previous frequent visits to his summer residence in neighboring town of Mysłakowice. He bought it for his daughter Louise of the Netherland. Thanks to the prince’s couple estate acquired a beautiful landscape park which was designed by the excellent landscape architect, director of Prussian Royal Gardens, Peter Joseph Lenne. A slight improvement of the romantic residence was made by one of the following: Schinkel’s apprentice, Friedrich August Stuler or Prince’s Oranje architect, Hermann Wentzel. In 1889 Wojanów was inherited by the daughter of prince’s couple, Maria zu Wied. Up to 1945 Wojanów estate changed its proprietors several times. During the World War II the Palace was inhabited by the Prisoners of War who worked in paper factory in Dąbrowica.
After the War the Palace suffered the same fate as other Silesian residences. It was robbed and then exploited as the base of State Agricultural Farm and then as a guest house. In those times it wasn’t renovated and it became neglected. In 1995 the Palace was bought by an Italian company and was renovated. Unfortunately the residence didn’t regain its former splendor as it was burnt in 2002 and put up for sale again.
Since 2004 the estate belongs to Pałac Wojanów Ltd.
The palace – park concept has been thoroughly refurbished in the years 2005-2007. It has been one of the biggest refurbishments of the palace complex in Poland in this decade. Not only the renaissance manor regained the previous splendor but it was given back to all of the properties and to romantic landscape park as well.
Stable, granary, outbuilding, carriage house and barn has changed its primary functions. Now, the estate remains as an exclusive conference centre and hotel offering accommodation for over 200 Guests including diversified room standards according to Guests’ needs, two restaurants, café, winery, garden bar, two restaurant gardens and teahouse. The estate’s facilities includes sporting and recreation ones such as tennis court, volleyball and basketball courts, swimming pool, jacuzzi, saunas, fitness, SPA & Wellness centre, training rooms e.t.c. There are some elements of architecture enhancing the park in the Palace complex such as new arbours, fountains, flower beds as well as restoration of historical paths and promenades.
58-508 Jelenia Góra
Tel.: +48 75 754 53 00
Mobile: +48 697 082 944
Fax: +48 75 754 53 03